I am fascinated by black and white. In print, painting and drawing I use black, and its gradations to white, as the vehicle through which I express myself. Whether figurative or abstract, my imagery represents a personal narrative; a distillation of moments that represent experience. A dragonfly, bird or figure can represent itself or a memory of an event, place or time. I try to create arresting images that offer the viewer significant but ambiguous forms to consider and fill with their own meaning.

The process of pressing ink into paper has been my preoccupation for over twenty-five years, and I am still captivated by that moment when the paper is lifted to reveal the image for the first time, and you see your intentions mediated by the process. It is this constant struggle between idea, image and process that compels me to make work. In a time of fast moving images it is the slow process of making by hand and the thoughtful gestation of an image that gives me pleasure.

I trained in Fine Art Printmaking at Central St Martins under Mike Peel, David Gluck, Norman Ackroyd, Sharon Avialotis and Tony Martina. This environment encouraged my interest in monochrome, black and white, intaglio and relief printing. Following college I lived in London until 1992 and worked in a small studio in East London. 

From 1993, my professional focus shifted towards exhibitions and curating and I developed curatorial and exhibitions projects for museums and galleries for almost twenty years including; Pier Arts Centre, The Public, Bradford Museums and Galleries and most recently as Gallery Manager at Ryedale Folk Museum. I continue to work closely with artist groups in North Yorkshire alongside my own practice.

Since 2010 I have been researching new approaches to my print practice. I recently started making a new group of prints using vinyl lino. This process is very flexible and composite images can be created quickly, retaining a sense of immediacy whilst articulating the medium.